Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

God help us all!

Ellie is growing up so fast. She is ready to be a big girl, and she is only 20 months old -- not even 2! We've started pottie training; it's coming along slow. She tries to dress herself, though she's better at undressing. And just this week she has begun a new effort at independence: stair-climbing!

She likes to get out of the car by herself and walk to our apartment by herself -- only problem is that we live on the second floor! Now, I do try to meet her halfway. I will let her climb out of the car, hold my hand as we walk to the mailbox and then back towards the apartment, but once we hit the stairs that's it! Independence lost! Like it or not, fit or no fit, she's getting mommie's help!

Once again, God has used this instance to illustrate to me how we, his children, act when it comes to thinking we can do things all by ourselves.

So many times we will try to handle situations without prayer or without seeking him, or worse, when we do accomplish something we forget to give him the glory. Let's remind ourselves yet again: We can do nothing without him! We are nothing without him! For "In him we live and move and have our being; as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we are indeed his offspring.'" (Acts 17:28 ESV)

See, I know that it is most likely Ellie will hurt herself on those stairs. For one they are concrete, but mainly there are at least 10-15 steps to the top (I've never actually counted them). She wants so bad to walk up those steps without my help, yet everyday for the past week she has screamed her head off that I pick her up and disallow it. She doesn't know what I know. She doesn't know that I am only trying to protect her from harm.

This just speaks volumes to me! Moments of my own frustration with God for not giving me what I want when I want it flood my memory. God is so good not to let us hurt ourselves.

The world tells us that independence is a good thing and encourages it, but spiritually speaking, independence of God is prideful. We are in constant need of his assistance. To live outside of his help is to live outside of his covering and blessing, and to live outside of his blessing is not really living at all is it?

So thank you God for once again speaking to me through my child's behavior, and make this instance a memorial so that the next time I feel like kicking and screaming at you I might refrain.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment