Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Behold I will do a new thing," says he LORD

Isaiah 43:18-20

New Living Translation (NLT)
 18 “But forget all that—
      it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
 19 For I am about to do something new.
      See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
   I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
      I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
 20 The wild animals in the fields will thank me,
      the jackals and owls, too,
      for giving them water in the desert.
   Yes, I will make rivers in the dry wasteland
      so my chosen people can be refreshed."

It's a new year, and I'm glad for it. I look at the new year as a new opportunity to do new things: try something new, start a new project or just grant myself a new start on an old yet abandoned mission.
That's why this year I am starting a Bible study in my home. Now I don't know how long it will last or even how many will come, all I do know is that it's the something new I've been needing for a long time. I will begin it and hope to hold faithful. I can only trust God to send those who are as hungry as I am.
See, I need to be new again ... to let God make me new again. This is the year I stop trying to renew myself without his help.
I have been a Christian for a long time now, but it's been a while since there has been significant spiritual growth in my life. I'm ready for that.
If you're reading this blog then you are invited to my home this Tuesday night (that's tonight) at 7:30 p.m. for introductions. If you can't make it but wish to come in the future, I will try to review each week what was discussed the week before.
Tonight I will begin what I hope will become an eye-opening series I like to call "Whom Do You Say That I Am?"
It will be and in-depth look at Jesus the man and Jesus the Christ.
See, as a "Christian," I have pondered many times in recent years the practices, traditions and supposed beliefs that make up the faith; things like what holidays we celebrate and why, what versions of the Bible we read, the "Christianese" we speak or our many other "Heavenly" sayings.
I've rolled it over in my head so many times now that the only question I feel appropriate to begin a "Christian" Bible study with is "Who was Jesus of Nazareth?"
I mean, if being Christian means to be Christ-like then we could just as well call ourselves Christ Followers — that is if we are indeed following him.
So on this note I will begin my study with topics like:
The Jesus of Nazareth
The Jewish Jesus
Jesus The Man
Jesus The Christ
Whom Do We Say That He Is?
Why Should We Follow Him?
Letting Our Lives Reflect Him
I want to KNOW him this year — truly KNOW him.
I used to be someone whose life pointed to him, but some where along the road of becoming wife and mother I have forgotten how to be that person. Now I do good to do what the pastor tells me each Sunday.
But I don't want to be that person anymore. I want to know him for myself. I don't want my pastor to teach me about Jesus; I want Jesus to teach me about Jesus!
If you feel the same I would love to see you!
I'm at 908 Autumnwood Circle in Columbia.
Call for directions at 931.286.1326.

No comments:

Post a Comment